Arch

Default Musing about problems that may not exist

How come a simple skinny plain turned wood spindle with visible tool
marks and a pinched mouth often earns "Oh! Very Artful, Arch".... but If
I add my best finish and a candle cup or lamp harp to the same turning,
I get, "nice candlestick" or "good lamp" in ho-hum sotto voce?

If woodturning in the larger craft/art arena is so small, but within it
are several very active net forums and numerous and widespread websites,
why is it that I recognize so few of you at symposia or large meetings?
Maybe lapel name cards should be in larger print or pinned where they
can be seen. Or just maybe, I need a better memory and new glasses.

I think of rcw as a worldwide list of persons sharing a mutual interest,
but in no way as a consensus group. This forum is composed of
individuals and is certainly not a committee. Is that the reason why we
have little impact on the tools and equipment manufacturers offer us?
Or does our impotence have more to do with more important influences
being market constraints, investor's profits, designers bias and
engineer's inflexibility? Probably few of them turn wood, while most of
us have at least one "why don't they".

While I'm at it, what do some of you wish they would make for us or what
do you think might improve their extant products?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter