Nick Atty

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 08:35:25 +0000, chris French
wrote:

The way to really is to use some drain rods -I imagine you can hire
them. These are flexible rods that you poke down the drain to dislodge a
blockage. If you can get it through you length of the drain then you can
tell if the blockage is outside your property

Although a cheap set doesn't cost much.

You may well have another manhole on the edge of your property, perhaps
buried in a hedge (we have). Lifting that will show you where the
blockage is.

If you have, and the blockage is on your side, things become (slightly)
more pleasant, as you can rod from the empty end. Put an old rag tied
firmly on a piece of string into the outlet from here, to stop anything
you dislodge from just blocking the next stage, and rod away. There
will suddenly be the most disgusting slurping noise, and noisome filth
will appear. Fish around with your drain rods and remove anything that
looks likely to cause a blockage, then pull out the "plug". Flush with
lots of water.

Before you start:
a) get ready a supported bin bag to put stuff into without touching it.
b) wear the oldest clothes you've got, and either prepare to put them
straight into a hot wash, or to bin them. Include gloves or (better)
gauntlets in this.
c) have someone ready to run a hot bath for you the moment the slurping
starts.
d) don't eat.

This is a disgusting job that I've done twice now. When you come out
of your bath, look up the cost of hiring someone to do the job, and
you'll feel a bit better.

Finally, never never never never flush away anything that is supposed to
be flushable other than normal loo paper. Do not trust anything the
green frog thinks. I speak from bitter experience.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)