Ed Huntress

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Dave Mundt

says...

Nature is a complicated and intricate process, and, alas
many humans are getting slightly too far away from the process...
which leads to irrational actions and general stupidity.

Possibly the best discourse on this subject I've heard yet.

Though, one might say humans are getting to *close* to it!

We encounter a lot of the animals such as bears and deer
because we're encroaching on their habitat. I bet the
tacky apartment dwellers you mention do complain about
about how many deer they encounter with their cars. No
wonder, they went and built their houses where the deer
lived!

I didn't read Carl's message so I can't comment on what he said, but the
deer/bear/people relationships are somewhat different here in NJ. In 1900,
there were fewer than 100 deer in NJ. Now there are over 160,000 (winter
herd, minimum) and they have moved back in where the people already were. A
few years back, they ate $25,000 worth of new landscaping off the property
of my boss at the time, the VP of Wasino. g

In 1965, there were no bears in NJ. 'Hadn't been for over 100 years. Now we
have over 1,000, packed into the northwest corner but spreading out as we
speak, total number being debated. They came in on their own from NY and/or
PA. They, too, found they like moving in where the people had moved to in
the meantime. There are all those nice garbage cans around. And the little
kids look pretty tasty, too.

Oh, there were a couple of coyotes sighted here in Middlesex County last
year. They're also new immigrants.

The state is going to hell...

--
Ed Huntress