1_Patriotic_Guy

Dave,
I hope I'm not taking too much of your time. Now you've got me
intrigued. I always was told not to use a water softener in the country
(because it messes with the bacteria balance in the septic system). I've
met folks who had city water and a septic system; but never knew anyone on a
private well with city sewer hook-ups. Are you?
My mother-in-law has city water and a septic tank. She would love to
use a water softener (mainly for her clothes and dishwasher). But I have
always echoed what I heard from septic tank professionals and owners -- that
it killed the bacteria in the septic tank causing the recycling process to
break down, which results either in raw sewage being flushed from the tank
because of excessive water flow or in sewage build-up and blockage,
requiring a frequent pumping of the tank (currently her system runs so well
that she never has to have it pumped).
If you ever need info on a topic, let me know.
Respectfully,
Andy

"David Martel" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Andy,

I've never done what you're proposing and don't know but I think that
the regeneration process has fast flushing which does what you're

proposing,
so I wouldn't open up the tank. I think the resin does fail with age but
I've not experienced this as a home owner. My first water softener lasted
about 20 yrs before it began suffering from a lot of breakdowns and was
replaced. My second softener (very similar to yours) has lasted 5 yrs so
far. I clean the venturi annually and disassemble the rotor/valve for
cleaning every 2 yrs. Had to replace the rotor seal last time but I'm on a
well.

Dave M.