Steven Briggs

In message , tony sayer
writes
I think that is very good advice. If I were making some joints in a
rather inaccessible location where I couldn't be certain that I have
cleaned the pipe all the way round, or was unable to inspect the joint
either, I think I'd opt for compression fittings which I have done
before on some occasions.

Its not a case of being a real plumber at all, just horses for courses,
otherwise why do you think they still make 'em?.....

Another reason for compression fittings in such a location in a retro
fit job is water dribbles. Even when you've drained the system, there's
often enough water dribbling around in the underfloor areas to make
soldering impossible.
I would do new bits in soldered, then put in a compression T to link
into the existing.

At the very least I always have a few compression fittings to hand just
in case of problems.
--
steve