The Natural Philosopher

Default Under patio heating

MrCheerful wrote:

"Scott Mills" wrote in message
news:HiCdc.1316$io3.292@newsfe1-win...

"MrCheerful" wrote in message

What is the panel's opinion on using electric under floor heating like
screwfix sell for conservatories under my shortly to be installed brick
patio?

Why do you want to heat your patio? I can only think of snow

clearing...

The running costs are not an issue as such

Lucky you!

but is there any definite reason
not to use this system?

Reasoning is that if you are outside with warm feet you can stand the
temperature of the rest of you better, also it would dry off quickly

after

rain, which would be a big advantage for us as we have dogs that run in

and

out with wet paws.

During the summer the sun warms the bricks and after sundown they let

the

heat go again and feel warm and pleasant for a while, if that was

prolonged

by electric heating that would be quite an advantage, I think.

Nothing wrong with it, but do lay insulation underneath. I'd be tempted
to go hot water tho. Cheaper and more robust and safer out doors.

Now, that idea I like. the initial costs are far lower too, I would have to
put anti freeze in, but that would be ok I would guess, no danger of
overheating elements, even if it fails there is just a leak, screwfix sell
the pipe too !

thanks, I was hung up on electric after seeing some installed indoors.

The pipe can take exteme pressure. Mine was tested to 10 bar and teh
scred laid at 4 bar. I doubt if freezng would be a problem - if encased
in concrete.

But be aware it takes several hours to get warm, irrespective of what you use.

The thermal mass of a slab of concrete is considerable.

Which is why most outdoor gheating is of the hot air blow variety.

By the time you notice its a bit chilly, you are already too late by a
few hours to switch it on...

In summer, the slab will pick up heat anyway from the sun, and stay warm
into the night. Especially if insulated.

MrCheerful