GerryG

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:25:29 -0500, Robatoy wrote:

In article ,
GerryG wrote:

No, you have both. The shellac will bond very tightly to the particle board,
and that bond will be stronger than the material itself. Contact cement,
unlike wood glue, is _not_ designed to bond a porous surface, at least not
with its full strength.
GerryG

That would be the point of thinning the CCement, Gerry. To allow the
cement to soak into the porous surface creating serious adhesion.

Try it on a test piece. The particle board will fail lonf before the
glue joint. I'm not so sure of that happening with shellac... but that
is just a hunch.

The question here has become; how strong is the bond between ccement and
shellac. I don't have an answer for that.

0?0

Rob

Ahh...well, that brings up the question of just how CCement works as opposed
to wood glue or shellac. Yes, I agreed that thinning the first coat of CCement
would improve the bond. However, I asserted that a bond of CCement to shellac
would be even stronger. We know that CCement will stay slightly flexible after
it cures, as opposed to either wood glue or shellac, both of which will be
rather hard. I think you will find that, the thicker the coating of CCement,
the weaker the bond, due to this flexibility. From another perspective, for
porous surfaces like wood, we tend to prefer wood glue and not CCement
whenever possible. However, for gluing plastic laminate, the choice would be
different.
GerryG