WillR

Barry:

A Couple more notes...

Ba r r y wrote:
"Ba r r y" wrote in message
. ..

My 10 year old Zircon bought the farm today.

=20
=20
Thanks, folks!
=20
I had tried my Zircon in (3), count 'em, THREE, different buildings.
However, ALL of them have new paint! ALL of them are freshly painted
in high-hide colors, like whites and beiges.

Just checked my walls Zircon acted up on all of them with "wet" paint.=20
Oldest wall - painted two years ago - works fine.

=20
I bought a new $35 Zircon today, it acted just like the other one!
Both units work great on walls with older ( + 1 year) paint. Neither
unit worked on walls painted with high quality, high hiding paint. I
returned it the new unit 4 hours after I bought it.=20
=20

I checked some walls painted Oct 2004. Beige wall - sorta OK -- worked=20
most of the time.

Sandstone (orangish rusty colour) still very flaky -- unreliable I would =

say.

I can't prove it, but the fresh paint theory is holding water in my
eyes,
=20
FWIW, two of the paint jobs are top of the line Ben Moore, the other
is Pratt & Lambert.
=20
The 'wreck comes through again.
=20
Thanks again,
Barry=20

FYI Titanium Oxide AFAIK was the replacement for Lead Oxide - very=20
white. Recall this cause the supplier of much of the TO was a company=20
(client) 1 hr. east of Montreal. This was a long time ago in another=20
life... Used to be the R.H. Mr. B. Mulroney worked for the company as I=20
recall... Very famous and respected Cdn PM. ducks

Suspect that there are lots of metal oxides in paint (pretty darn sure=20
actually -- but can't be bothered with details) and that they can=20
interfere with the electric field of the Zircon... ("Mythbusters" just=20
did a show where the used the Zircon and talked to someone at the=20
company -- good show :-) )

I have the Zircon Contractor Triscanner Pro -- for your reference. FCC=20
ID# N94TS1 Assembled in Mexico - It was probably tested on Adobe walls.=20
:-) (Si senor, es verdad, el Zircon esta hablando mucho conmigo...)

Maybe a paint expert can explain why all this should be so. As for me -- =

just happy to have it confirmed by other people that it even could be=20
true and is not the way I hold my nose while looking for studs.

Maybe I'll give it to my wife -- she says she could use it -- not sure=20
why though???

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw