Old March 17th 05, 01:25 AM
Xlat

Default Kinda' on topic - stud finders

Find my ex-wife, she had no problem at all finding the studs... and
you'll never need to charge her batteries either!!

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:11:37 GMT, Ba r r y
wrote:

My 10 year old Zircon bought the farm today.

Anyone got a favorite they'd like to recommend?

For some reason the Zircon just stopped finding studs! It _appears_
to work, but it seems to be in random mode. Yes, I've changed the
battery... three times!

Thanks,
Barry

Remove the nospam from my address to email me!!

Old March 17th 05, 02:00 AM
Phisherman

wrote:

My 10 year old Zircon bought the farm today.

Anyone got a favorite they'd like to recommend?

For some reason the Zircon just stopped finding studs! It _appears_
to work, but it seems to be in random mode. Yes, I've changed the
battery... three times!

Thanks,
Barry

I have a Zircon and it works just fine for 15 years. It will prick up
changes in density or dangling wires. I used it to install crown
moldings and more recently to find a place to screw in a mounting
plate for a over-the-range microwave. Try your stud finder on
another wall.
Old March 17th 05, 02:14 AM
WillR

Phisherman:

Just reminded me of something...

Phisherman wrote:
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 01:11:37 GMT, Ba r r y
wrote:
=20
=20
My 10 year old Zircon bought the farm today.

Anyone got a favorite they'd like to recommend?

For some reason the Zircon just stopped finding studs! It _appears_
to work, but it seems to be in random mode. Yes, I've changed the
battery... three times!

I had a similar problem with a Zircon. I repainted a wall with Behr=20
paint (a bit aged I will admit) - from a source which shall remain=20
nameless... Then had trouble with the Zircon stud finder. It worked fine =

on other walls.

It also acted up on other recently painted walls. (Still damp/barely=20
dry? :-) )

Suspect that paint composition may be an issue... Most trouble was with=20
high-hiding white.

I have not re-checked the walls since the paint has aged...

Painted the walls in Oct/2004. So if I do re-check I will let you know.

Thanks,
Barry

=20
=20
=20
I have a Zircon and it works just fine for 15 years. It will prick up
changes in density or dangling wires. I used it to install crown
moldings and more recently to find a place to screw in a mounting
plate for a over-the-range microwave. Try your stud finder on
another wall.

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw
Old March 17th 05, 02:15 AM
WillR

Ba r r y wrote:
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 02:00:50 GMT, Phisherman wrote:
=20
=20
=20
I have a Zircon and it works just fine for 15 years. It will prick up
changes in density or dangling wires. I used it to install crown
moldings and more recently to find a place to screw in a mounting
plate for a over-the-range microwave. Try your stud finder on
another wall.

=20
=20
I tried it in multiple BUILDINGS. G
=20
It's lost it's mind.
=20
Barry

Time to nuke it then...

Old March 17th 05, 02:58 AM
Mike

wrote:

My 10 year old Zircon bought the farm today.

I'd go with another Zircon if you liked the one you have. We've tried
several brands over the years and they all perform about the same. We
usually break them or lose them before we wear them out. We're
currently using a Zircon with the deep scan mode which seems to work a
little better on sheetrock thicker than 1/2".

Mike O.

Old March 17th 05, 03:22 AM
Tom Kohlman

Wife got me a new Zircon for xmas (even though the 12 year old one was still
working just fine). Whereas the old one only had the little light dots on
the front, the new one projects a light up the wall and makes noise at the
edges, has a display that "graphs" the density of the stud as you move
across it, has deep-scan for thicker drywall and also a setting that detects
AC wiring...that was the $39 model I guess...

We bought its little sister for $20 (same functions minus the graph) for my
76 year-old father-in-law who until then relied on the "knock" method and
never knew there was any other way...I laughed my ass off x-mas day as he
sought out every stud and wire in my first floor just like a little kid on
an Easter egg hunt...I'd stick with Zircon...

Old March 17th 05, 04:05 AM
mp

Suspect that paint composition may be an issue... Most trouble was with
high-hiding white.

Interesting. Titanium oxide (I believe) is a component in white pigments.
Could this be a sensitivity masking effect due to the metallic pigment
component?

Old March 17th 05, 04:20 AM
Dave Balderstone

In article , mp wrote:

Suspect that paint composition may be an issue... Most trouble was with
high-hiding white.

I have a Zircon, and we just painted the boy's room with a high-hide
primer and then some loud colors. I had no problem with the stud finder
when I was installing a corkboard around the walls at chair-rail
height.

FWIW.

--
"I'm a man, but I can change... If I have to... I guess." -- Red Green
Old March 17th 05, 05:33 AM
Don

"Ba r r y" wrote
My 10 year old Zircon bought the farm today.

Anyone got a favorite they'd like to recommend?

I bought the Black and Decker one awhile back and I'm real happy with it.
Kinda pricey, think I paid about $65 for it, but it also has a laser.
Here it is:
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=prod...018-70-BDL110S

I have a Zircon too but it never has cut the mustard.

Old March 17th 05, 11:19 AM
Tina

I have a suggestion...take the back off and blow (gently) some air on
it...maybe dust or whatever might be affecting it...won't hurt to try...ya
never know
Tina
nk.net...

Stud Finders Gene Home Repair 3 February 17th 05 12:40 AM
Kinda on topic, Mountain Howitzer FMB Woodworking 1 January 16th 05 03:00 AM
Stud finders Daniel Prince Home Repair 17 December 23rd 04 03:38 PM
Stud wall spreads out a point load? Wayne Whitney Home Repair 13 November 5th 04 04:51 PM
what is involved in stud welding? Grant Erwin Metalworking 25 April 24th 04 11:52 PM