T i m

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 20:57:28 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

T i m wrote:

I would like to extend the range of a home WiFi link (better signal
strength down to the workshop) and wondered if anyone here had
*actually* built / tested one of those DIY 'can' type antenna /
reflectors / whatever?

What type of interface makes the job easier (USB 'dongle', remote usb
'compact type' , PCI / PCCard SMA connector etc)?

I guess something fairly directional would probably be best ..?

You have probably had all the relevant answers already, but I would add
my vote for the solwise kit , we use a fair mount of it without any
problems.

Hi John (et al) , thanks for the update.

I can't see you having any problems with a standard AP and a yagi
(regarding power levels etc).

Currently I have a Netgear ME102 AP in the back room talking to a
Q-Tec PCMCIA card in the laptop in the workshop (for test purposes)
and it's ok as long as I leave the (steel) door open ;-)

The network over mains units may also do what you want assuming you
already have a mains feed out to your workshop.

Ok ..

Myself I just ran a long cat5e down to it ;-) (although the WiFi does
reach anyway)

I will run Cat5 down there alongside the power (in it's own plastic
tube) but that might not be for a while ..

Best kit to use would be a Wireless AP that has a reverse SMA connector
for the antenna. You can then ethernet it to a suitable location and run
a short RF elad to the yagi.

*IF* I can get some sort of 'box' (Ethernet remote powered doo-dah) up
behind the glass over the doors of the workshop and then I should get
a useable signal with the std ant.

All the best ..

T i m