Kenneth

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 19:39:44 GMT, GerryG
wrote:

IMO, very nice advice from Robatoy.

The purpose of the primer on wood for contact cement is to seal the surface,
so the cement can sit on top and not be absorbed. Some people use a thinned
coat of contact cement first, others may just put on several coats. Since the
solvent will melt itself, I'd suggest using shellac or any other sealer. As
for thinning and coats, you just need enough to fully seal the surface of the
wood, and it should be roughed up before applying the contact cement. For
particle board, two coats of primer are often better than one thicker coat.

GerryG

On 17 Mar 2005 07:03:11 -0800, "Mr Fixit eh" wrote:

To what degree would you thin a primer coat? 50:50 with contact cement
thinner? Or would that be too thin?

Steve

Howdy,

I don't challenge anything you have written, but I do have
questions about it:

Suppose I use a coat of shellac as a sealer. Then, over
that, I put the contact cement.

Am I not then using the bonding strength of the shellac
rather than the bonding strength of the cement?

Thanks for your comments,
--
Kenneth