Phisherman

The best protection is to unplug it when not in use.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:57:25 -0500, w_tom wrote:

The surge protectors without earth ground does very little.
In fact, anything that is effective in a 'power cord'
protectors is already inside that electronics. The effective
surge protectors makes a less than 3 meter connection to surge
protection. The component called surge protection is always
required. Sometimes we must install a surge protector to make
that surge protection connection. The plug-in protector does
not provide this AND avoids the discussion. Example of
effective protectors that are far more effective and typically
cost about £1 per protected appliance:
http://www.keison.co.uk/furse/furse06.htm

A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. This
being what ineffective (and typically grossly overpriced)
plug-in protectors fear you might learn.

Tony the Turner wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I have sourced a UK spec protector for
18GBpounds which is about $33 at current exchange rate. It is
contained in a replacement wall socket. Have fitted it and fingers
crossed!

Supplier was Speedfix who have a UK website www.speedfix.com.

Tony

--