World Traveler

I watched my next-door neighbor with this problem -- Palm Beach County, with
similar sandy soil. The crew came in, dug the tunnel, did the repair work,
put the soil back into their tunneled area, cleaned up and left. That was
almost 10 years ago, and no subsequent problems. Also, I had to have my
slab cut to install new plumbing, and it's a mess -- plus if you're worried
about a void under the slab with a tunnel, shouldn't you also be worried
about weakening the slab if you have to slice into it?

It seems to me that tunnel repairs to plumbing must not be unusual in an
area like south Florida where many homes are on slabs and the soil is easy
to work. As long as you've hired a licensed company that's been around for
a few years you shouldn't have a problem.

I understand the rationale for getting bids, but then you've got to worry
about whether the low bidder isn't omitting something (workman's comp
coverage? insurance?) or using unqualified labor. I suggest you find a
qualified, licensed company, ask them some intelligent questions, let them
do the work, and not obsess over it too much.

And let us know how it works out.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Those prices to cut and repair sound real high, get bids.