orangetrader

Default How will one back fill dirt when between the bottom of slab and footing?

I need to have someone come dig a tunnel to access a "Y" connection in the
sewer line that needed to be replaced. Access from above is too problematic
and messy.

The quote I got is $187 per foot of digging. They will need to dig down
several feet beyond the footing, then dig a horizontal tunnel six feet over
to the location of the pipe. Because we are in Miami and near the beach,
the soil is all sandy, I guess when they tunnel, the compacted sand above
the tunnel will fall? This means more dirt will be removed from the tunnel.
Now when they finished repairing or replacing the drain line, they told me
they can just throw the dirt back into the tunnel and all will be ok.

I wonder how you will throw the dirt back into the tunnel to fill the space
below the slab and above the footing? Can this really be done? Does it not
require some sort of a sand/dirt pump? Even if this is doable it will not
be compacted right?

Will this cause the line to be "suspended" and not resting on dirt and will
that cause future failure - possibly the weight of water going through may
create a back pitch? Will the foundation settle as a result of this dig?

Thanks for any comments,

bumtracks

"orangetrader" wrote in message
news
[...]

they spray the dirt with dry nitorgen before completely backfilling,,, you
know out of a welding type tank, kind of blow most of the dirt back in.
Then it expands to fill the hole as it gains moisture. Problem might be
the residual nitrogen in the soil causes fungus and various weed seeds to
grow uncontrollably sometimes and your house might get stinky.

m Ransley

You are safer cutting through the floor, either way talk to their
insurance broker for verifying full coverage, liability and workers
comp. Holes can fill in, fail. It will remain a hole underneath never to
be solid again. It will be very hard to re support the repaired area.
Talk to your building inspector.

SQLit

[...]

Cutting the floor is problematic compared with a void under the floor after
the repair...

I would not even consider tunneling.

CUSE

SQLit wrote:
[...]

Are you saying cutting the floor is worst or tunneling is worst?

CUSE

Unfortunately cutting the floor is more difficult because of several
reasons:

- they estimated $2000 to open up the 8" concrete floor, $187 per foot
to dig down, $1000 to fix the drain from above, and then they leave.
How it is up to me to pay additional to repair the damage by refilling
the concrete floor, redo the tiles (no spare tile) and redo kitchen
cabinets (area of excavation is right where I have cabinets), and my
wife strongly objects the "messy" inside excavation.

- outside tunneling in is $187 per foot so if it is 15 feet total up
across and down it is $2800, and is cheaper than the floor opening
option.

I don't know, I am going crazy.

m Ransley

Those prices to cut and repair sound real high, get bids.

EL

"O",

Have you or the contractor considered that this tunneling might go down far enough to hit water? I know when I lived in
Jupiter (FL), the water table was only 2.5-3 feet below the floor level of our house.

I have a feeling that if the tunnel went down to the level of the water table, things could get (even more) complicated real
fast.

Eric Law

[...]

World Traveler

I watched my next-door neighbor with this problem -- Palm Beach County, with
similar sandy soil. The crew came in, dug the tunnel, did the repair work,
put the soil back into their tunneled area, cleaned up and left. That was
almost 10 years ago, and no subsequent problems. Also, I had to have my
slab cut to install new plumbing, and it's a mess -- plus if you're worried
about a void under the slab with a tunnel, shouldn't you also be worried
about weakening the slab if you have to slice into it?

It seems to me that tunnel repairs to plumbing must not be unusual in an
area like south Florida where many homes are on slabs and the soil is easy
to work. As long as you've hired a licensed company that's been around for
a few years you shouldn't have a problem.

I understand the rationale for getting bids, but then you've got to worry
about whether the low bidder isn't omitting something (workman's comp
coverage? insurance?) or using unqualified labor. I suggest you find a
qualified, licensed company, ask them some intelligent questions, let them
do the work, and not obsess over it too much.

And let us know how it works out.

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Those prices to cut and repair sound real high, get bids.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How will one back fill dirt when between the bottom of slaband...

replying to World Traveler, Steven (Bear) Salfelder wrote:
*Absolutely finding a qualified company or person is best over the cheapest
price. With all the technology these days it is easy to qualify someone *

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ab-598065-.htm

Solid fuel stove and disconnected back boiler Frank Stacey UK diy 10 November 7th 18 06:14 AM
McMansions And Such Tom Watson Woodworking 123 October 14th 04 11:05 PM
Cooker Switch, back box earthing Ian UK diy 6 August 30th 04 09:48 PM
Back Boiler Problem Sammer1_uk UK diy 5 December 7th 03 04:03 PM
Draining Back Boiler Jamie UK diy 1 July 27th 03 12:29 AM