John Rumm

Kevin Brady wrote:

Fine - I'll give it a go, I've always enjoyed playing with flames - please
tell me I'll need a big welders mask for something this hardcore.

Well if you insist, yes.... only don't wear it while trying to solder
cos you won't be able to see a blinking thing!

Sorry - seriously, end feed or capillary ?(is capillary easier/less likely
to leak?)

By capillary I take it you mean solder ring?

(end feed and solder ring (aka Yorkshire fittings) are both capillary
fittings - that is how the solder gets drawn into the joint)

Solder ring is generally thought of as being easier - clean, flux, heat,
wait for a nice bright ring of solder to appear at the end of the
fitting, stop heating, don't let it move while cooling.

End feed is cheaper and looks neater, and once you have managed to ween
yourself away from the "simplicity" of solder ring fittings you actually
find that they are not any harder to use (unless you are working in
really confined spaces and can only get enough hands to the job to hold
a blowtorch OR solder but not both!).

Once you have the technique sorted (i.e. cleaning and making the joint,
then how much heat for how long), both are very reliable. The extra
manufacturing complexity of the solder ring fitting _may_result in a
higher failure rate as a result of defects in the fitting.

--
Cheers,

John.