Lurch

Default Leak in hot water tank

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 05:22:07 +0100, in uk.d-i-y PoP
strung together this:

A doomsday scenario might be if he got a slow 2nd leak in the CH
circuit, perhaps in a pipe joint under the ground floor, where water
in the circuit dumped. If the CH system is not replenished then the
possibility exists that the boiler might fire up on empty.

I presume this could cause damage to the boiler?

Yes, which is why I said at the top of the reply switch the heating on
*if you follow the rest of the reply*, i.e. turn the water back on so
the CH tank has a water supply.

Bear in mind however that sometimes these gate valves are a bit leaky.
So you turn the valve off and water still dribbles thru.

I would turn the valve off and leave the HW tap in the kitchen fully
open for the duration. That way should there be any leakage in that
valve any water which gets thru ought to dump into the kitchen sink.

Won't work like that,

Unless the plumbing is such that the HW tank feeds taps from the top
end, in which case oh-oh.

Because of that. To be certain it is off you could either turn the
valve off then disconnect the pipe below the valve and fit a stop end.
Or you could remove the valve while the tank upstairs is empty and fit
a quarter turn ball valve.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.