Cliff

On 15 Mar 2005 20:01:21 -0800, "Jim" wrote:

have to figure out a tough set up or am trying to create some trick
toolpaths that a cig always helps my concentration.

I find coffee has the same effect on me. When I worked as a programmer
for University Hospitals, if I was having trouble debugging or
designing a complex hunk of code I'd take a coffee break. Since we
didn't have a pot in the office I'd hike on down to the hospital
cafeteria. When I'd get back and sit down with the coffee, suddenly
the whole mess would make sense. I was never sure though if it was the
effect of the caffeine on my brain, the brisk walk to the cafeteria and
back, starting over fresh, or some combination of all three.

Jim Koch, Cleveland

IIRC The Harvard Business School long ago did some studies.
Breaks end up making people far more productive, usually,
so your smokers may be your most productive employees
(but, as they don't do the same jobs as the others it seems this
may not be noticed).

So do constant small changes by management (not that the
specific changes themselves usually have much to do with it ...
just that things *change*, thus keeping it more interesting I
suppose.)

Also of note: People working together with freedom are
usually more productive than those with strong management
watching over them at each step or mandating trivial things.
--
Cliff