Andrew McKay

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:22:49 +0000, Andy pandy
wrote:

Get ya self to college in September and learn a new skill !

Depends if the job centre will pay for it...

What are you doing at the moment Andrew ?

Looking for work. Actually I've been looking seriously now for 3
months and can't even get a goddamned interview!

I'm just trying a new approach - the handyman bit is now airbrushed
out of the CV. I've been working for my IT company these last couple
of years (I kept it open) doing IT work. I might have done a bit of
DIY work for other people occasionally as well - none of which is
telling porkies, it's absolutely true.

What really p's me off is that if you take a career break everyone
thinks you must've forgotten everything you ever knew. My answer to
that one is "did you ever learn to ride a bike - when did you last
ride one - do you think you could ride one now?".

Have you been in the Forces? (none related but a hunch I have)

Nope. Had a bad experience with Dad being in the RAF for 28 years.
Hardly ever saw him, and when he did appear the memories aren't great.
Not his fault, his father (Liverpool docker) came home roaring drunk
most nights and beat his family up - I mean giving his wife and kids
broken limbs, and Dad felt the best way to protect me from that
dreadful experience was to stay away most of the time.

So I made an early promise to myself before I left school - I would
never join the armed forces and put my own family thru the trauma of
being away from home while they were growing up.

Andrew