JR North

'S ok. I have an on-line-purchase-only MC with a $1000.00 limit. Usually
pretty much charged out. My bank account listed with PayPal is pretty
much dormant; throw a few bucks in it now and then. They can hack all
they want, try to charge my accounts- good luck.
Only a sucker would provide PayPal an account# with any real money in it.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Don Foreman wrote:
This is "negative feedback" for EBay.

I recently got an email notifying me that I had won an auction on some
cookie cutters. WTF, over? I've made no bids on anything on EBay
for many months.

Shortly thereafter I got an email "invoice" from the seller.

I notified both seller and EBay that I had not bid on the item and did
not want it. I initially suspected the seller, but upon visit to
EBay it did look like I'd bid and the seller has plenty of positive
feedback.

EBay stonewalled me. My inquiry was first met with all the ways it
could be my bad: other members of my household, using a public
computer at school, library or internet cafe, yada yada. Yeah, OK, I
told them none of the above applied. Their response to that was
much of the same canned stuff from the first response.

Meanwhile, the seller accepted the notion that I'd been hacked and
said forget it, he'd repost, suggested that I cancel my account and
open a new one. I posted positive feedback for him on EBay for
being an honorable gentleman and A1 EBay citizen.

Hokay, that matter parked with honor and civility among gentlemen,
back to EBay. They'd told me twice to vet my household and change my
password. I told them that my household is provably secure, skipping
details since they demonstrably don't read or believe my responses.
There are only the two of us. Mary has held credentials and
clearances the pencilneck dweebs at Ebay never heard of. Her
trustworthyness is a matter of federal record after thorough vetting
by the FBI and Lord knows what other agency checks. Ditto me.

Cancelling the account would too easily let EBay off the hook
they're trying so hard to avoid with fancy dancing.

In my last response, I told them that I'd changed my password to one
produced by one of the several encryption algorithms generally
recognized as robust, nevermind which one. Mean time to crack by
hack at 100 tries per second would be many millions of years --
nevermind how many millions as a clue to sequence length other than it
is ten or less.

Any random password of given length would meet this test; it was
just easiest to generate it using an encryption algorithm since I had
one handy. Random is random, however done. I can blow smoke too.

I mentioned that if my identity is hacked again it would be clear
evidence that an insider at EBay is responsible. I cc'd the MN
Attorney General's office on that post.

I've received no smoke-o-grams from EBay in response to my last, not
even a roger. Go figure....

BTW, PayPal is a subsidiary of EBay. PayPal demands personal
financial info they shouldn't need to do what they purport to do.
Pick yer pony, take yer ride.

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"