Dave Hinz

On 15 Mar 2005 17:32:06 GMT, Ignoramus24806 wrote:
On 15 Mar 2005 16:57:43 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:
On 15 Mar 2005 15:19:27 GMT, Ignoramus24806 wrote:
I routinely ship items sold on ebay without even depositing checks first...

The thing is, you're expecting others to be as honorable as you are.
They're not all worthy of that trust.

My logic is this.

First, in my auctions, I say (lie) that items paid for with checks,
will ship only after the check clears. This is untrue. I have no time
to deposit checks, check if they cleared etc. Sometimes I deposit
checks, but most of the time, with small enough checks, I do
not. Right now I have a $200 check that I need to deposit after
shipping the item. Amusingly, they are the transistors from the UPS
that you could get for free if you took it

I was going to ask how that went. I'm very glad that someone got
use (and cash) out of it. Just too big for my situation.

Second, I deal with items that are unlikely to attract interest of
scammers. Electronic test equipment, industrial stuff, parts etc.

Probably a good point. As someone else said, the kind of person bidding
on machine tools probably won't screw you. Kind of like accepting a check
from a total stranger, at a gun show. You just don't get screwed by
that sort of person.

Third, even though it is possible that one day I will encounter a
scammer, I think that the chance is low enough that it makes saving
time worthwhile.

Seems reasonable. If you're just selling the sort of stuff I see you
mention here, you're not as vulnerable as if you were selling, say,
beanie babies.

So far, not a single check that I received, bounced.

Last bouncy check I was given was when I was 14 and had a paper route.
I learned the "Sorry, you need to pay in advance" game pretty early.