Nicholas

Kevin,

I was a computer programmer until a few years ago I decided that staring at
a screen all day wasn't for me. I was lucky enough to swap some machines
for a bit of coding for a local machinery supplier so I had a head start
with machinery and that made a big difference. If you're out to make money
at joinery then you'll need the machines sooner or later, preferably sooner.

Be prepared to feel a fool and make lots and lots and lots of mistakes. But
don't give up. It's not rocket science...I still make mistakes (as do all
woodworkers) but it's knowing how to recover from mistakes which makes all
the difference.

One rule I have always stuck to is to be cautious when dealing with machines
and sharp tools.

Books...I'd recommend a trip to the Library and start getting up to speed on
manual techniques like Mortice and Tenon etc etc. Once you know the manual
method of making a joint you'll understand the machines you may aquire later
all the better. Start to read about the machines too. It's a long learning
process and reading ahead is likely to have it's rewards.

Don't buy a single tool/machine until you have a definite need for it.
Money wasted on useless tools is money that could have gone towards a better
quality tool that you'll eventually use lots...(an example of my own, early
on I bought a stanley jack plane, gets used occasionally but for the most
part it sits on the shelf slowly corroding....the stanley 4 1/2 gets used
daily though)

Cheers

Nicholas

--
Nicholas Buttle - Quality Joinery and Cabinet Making
http://www.nbjoinery.net

--

"Stephen M" wrote in message
I am a complete novice to woodwork and wondered if there were any books,
videos, dvds or websites you could recommend.

I am interested in furniture making and toys.

Good it helps to know where you're focus will be.

I have a week long carpentry course starting soon and would like a head
start.

An excellent place to start. Here across the pond carpentry refers more to
on-site construction of things like houses. I'll assume that that is a
cultural language subtlty.

Any recommendations most welcome.

Periodicals. I'm not sure what's available over there. I used to get
Better
Homes and Gardens: Wood. Like several other magazines it has a mix of
projects, product reviews, and articles on techniques. The ads can be fun
look at too.

I think a mix like this is appropriate for someone who is in the "I don't
know what I don't know" stage.

For a book, I would suggest "Understanding Wood Finishes" by Bob Flexnor.
(Not specifially "woodworking" but necessary)

-Steve