The Real Tom

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 01:19:45 GMT, Bob wrote:

The Real Tom wrote:

Could be a 2002 110.3(b) violation. I just checked the instructions
on a box of NM-B and found it says to make connections at the end.

Could you elaborate on what that section covers? Does it deal
specifically with NM cable?

Any NEC quotes are summaries, please read the code for yourself:

No, it's a general instruction: "Installation and Use of Equipment".
You need to follow the manufacturer's instruction. If the manufacture
says to only connect at the ends of insulated conductors, then you
need to do so.

With conduit installations it's commonplace when running wires from box
to box to simply leave a loop in each box and cut off some insulation
from the loop and hook it around the screw terminal.

Can't say it's too common. Simple since other people I run into, and
how I was taught, you cut, pigtail, and wirenut. If you are using a
greenie, then just cut, and wirenut. Now with the free end goes to
the ground screw.

The knawing of insulation in the middle of the wire run seemed to look
lazy/unprofessional, so I'm guessing an inspector can hit you as a
2002 NEC 110.12 violation.

Remeber i'm still learning, so I listen to what hapens to other
electricians and take note.

later,

tom