As long as you remove a suffucuent length of insulation without nicking the
wire, it is hard to see ant downside. It should actully be very slightly
preferable as the total resistance to the last device on the line will be
slightly less. Each junction adds a little resistance.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:52:01 -0600, Wayne Whitney
wrote:

OK, based on the comments so far, let me try to revise what I think I
know about looping a wire around a screw terminal (and continuing to
another connection):

1) It is not advisable to do this with an insulated conductor,
although I'm not too clear on the reasoning. One thing that is clear
to me is that if this is done, the requisite 6" of conductor should be
left before the first looped connection.

2) It is advisable to do this with the EGC and the grounding screw of
a metal box or strap, because it makes a neater, tighter installation.

So that still leaves me with the question of whether it is a good idea
to do this with the EGC and the ground screw on a device.
Specifically, for a light switch, I'm considering looping the EGC of
the cable with the outbound switched hot around the ground screw of
the switch that serves it. What's the downside?

Thanks, Wayne