L. M. Rappaport

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:53:23 GMT, (Way Back Jack)
wrote (with possible editing):

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:24:14 GMT, "toller" wrote:

Why would you choose a switch with 8 or 10 circuit capability if your
generator supports 12?

Cause you simply don't have more than 8 circuits you need to power during a
blackout; and all the extra wiring fills up your breaker box pretty fast.
I have a 6 circuit transfer switch and had trouble deciding on the 5th and
6th circuits, as I only really wanted 4.

OK, in your estimation, how many circuits would be typically involved
in this bare-bones scenario:

Refrigerator; oil-fired furnace; well/water storage tank; water
neutralizer/softener; water heater; sump-pump.

Thanx, Jack

Refrigerator is 120v and requires a separate circuit (NEC).
Oil furnace is 120v and requires a separate circuit (NEC).
Well is either 120v or 240v and requires a separate circuit (NEC).
Water heater is 240v and requires a separate circuit (NEC).
Sump pump is 120v and I think requires a separate circuit.

That's a total of 6 or 7 circuits and you've left nothing for
lighting. If it were me, I'd have at least 2 or 3 extra circuits, so
I'd be buying at least a 10 circuit switch.

FWIW, what I did here with our 18kw diesel was to add a 200 amp
transfer switch and put it ahead of the entire distribution panel.
The generator is protected by a dual 60 amp breaker. With no electric
heat, is capable of running the entire house and often does. Your
only really big additional draws are an electric oven/range and (less
so) an electric dryer.

--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com