toller

"Way Back Jack" wrote in message
news:1110762826.da03817dab4404b254e2c71e1ad4489f@b ubbanews...
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:02:46 GMT, "toller" wrote:

"Way Back Jack" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:24:14 GMT, "toller" wrote:

Why would you choose a switch with 8 or 10 circuit capability if your
generator supports 12?

Cause you simply don't have more than 8 circuits you need to power
during
blackout; and all the extra wiring fills up your breaker box pretty
fast.
I have a 6 circuit transfer switch and had trouble deciding on the 5th
and
6th circuits, as I only really wanted 4.

OK, in your estimation, how many circuits would be typically involved
in this bare-bones scenario:

Refrigerator; oil-fired furnace; well/water storage tank; water
neutralizer/softener; water heater; sump-pump.

If the water heater is 240v, then you have 7 circuits there. All these
items should be on their own circuit. Or is this a trick question?
Adding one circuit for some lights and your TV gets you to 8.
(I don't have a water heater, sumppump, well, or softener; so 4 was plenty
for me.)

No trick question. I'm just stupid on these issues and trying to
learn. Thanks.

Sure. We all have to learn.
As someone pointed out, some well pumps are 240v and will require 2
circuits. You can check that easily by seeing it it uses a single or double
breaker.
(However, he was foolish to suggest putting the furnace and sumppump on the
same circuit; hopefully the electrician who wired your house knew better.
They, like the refrigerator, are critical appliances and need their own
circuits.)