Kyle Boatright

"ggg" wrote in message
I got quoted $350 minimum, average $500 to replace 9 bathroom tiles incl.
cement board. My plumber finally fixed our stems in the tub (we've been
replacing the freaking washers for years) but he doesn't do tile so the guy
he recommends comes over and takes a look and gives me this outrageous
quote. I was perfectly willing to do the work myself in the first place
but isn't this quote obscene?

Let's think about what this job entails...

-Trip #1 to the home.
- Complete Tear-out.
-Attach backerboard.
-Install tiles.
(Total labor ~4 hours, including travel and clean-up)

- Material - probably $100-125, depending on markup (remember, the
contractor did have to make a trip somewhere to get the material).

- Trip #2
- Grout
(Total Labor ~2 hours, including travel and clean-up)

- Material ~$25

- Trip #3
-Seal Grout. (wait one hour)
-Seal Grout again.(wait one hour)
-Caulk
(Total Labor ~ 3 hours including travel and clean up)

- Material $10

Total Materials ~ $150 +/-

Total Labor ~ 9 hours.

Assuming the job costs $500, with $150 of labor, that leaves $350 for the
contractor's 9 hours. Something like $40 per hour. If the guy works 50
hours a week, 50 weeks a year, he's gonna gross $50k a year, and has to pay
healthcare, insurance, and overhead (vehicle, insurance, tools, etc) out of
that.

Not cheap, but when you really think about it, not too bad either.

KB