ggg

johnny wrote:

"ggg" wrote

I told him I didn't have the money on me and would call him back and he
offered to do the work on the spot. I've had some of the greatest good
fortune with contractors but when it comes to our home, we've sent away
more contractors than we've used. My parents were neurotic about hiring
people to fix up the house for decades and my mom has spent more/all her
money fixing up things at work and resisting fixing anything at home.

It's too bad you didn't seek medical attention for their disease, neurosis
is treatable. I'll bet the place looks like a dump, that's sad.

You might win that bet.

I've said to tenants before that it looks a lot worse than the building
she sank all her money in. She's proud of herself for doing that.

We're still stewing over the $20k roofing estimate we got. None of the
roofing contractors gave the requested detailed estimate: no
measurements of the roof were stated, no materials were stated, just a
short paragraph with the bill and I really believe that it's because
they refuse to hear her when she tells them that she knows what things
cost and how things should be done. I'm wondering if I can do the flat
roof myself. I can decarpet big pieces no problem. Maybe I can get the
roofing materials up on the roof.

They probably figured you weren't serious, and the dump is to be condemned
shortly. You can't blame them for not wasting their time with a tire
kicker.

You know who would give her a fair price - the immigrant contractors.
That's who we used and got most of the estimates for the commercial
jobs. Not one Indian or Pakistani needed to resubmit a bid for not
putting down specific materials. They usually don't take residential
jobs though so she looked for people locally who have been around for
years. Do they do a shoddier job because they are immigrants? not ever
in our experience, our shoddy jobs at home weren't by people born overseas.