ggg

johnny wrote:

"ggg" wrote

I've been watching a number of diy shows on the less popular channels
that are more nitty gritty and several eps like broken house, houselift,
diy channel are showing HOs who have all said that they couldn't swallow
the roofer's estimate and that they were spurred to diy by the size of
the estimate. I have a flat roof so I have a much easier time than the
guys on tv. I have all the books I know about the membranes and the
nails from a past commercial roofer who gave the standard listing of
materials. The residential estimators wouldn't even listen to my mother
when she asked what layers would be going in, they ignored her questions
and she is not an obnoxious client. She's dealt with many contractors
before but when she is home, these local small companies see her
differently.

Sounds like your mother had plenty of professionals turn their back on her.
I will say, it's a good thing you have her professional advice to help you
through what the DIY books/videos don't show. You can always get sound
advice from HD for what your mother doesn't know.

? The estimators all did followups and seemed to expect to get the job
but this client doesn't need a soothing manner, she needs specifics. I
think they don't talk to all their potential customers this way. Well,
we've been pretty lucky with contractors outside the home so we don't
hate contractors and plumbers. We think our ones are great.

Do people really trust HD staff for advice? That seems dangerous. I
only got advice about paint type (eggshell and he was right on the money.)