ggg

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Eric Tonks wrote:

How do you replace the backer "cement" board while replacing only 9
tiles.
To do that properly would require a tear-out.

If the tearing out left at least one stud showing then it can be done by
carefully cutting a new piece of backer board and the edges of the
opening in the existing backer to mate. Then spread Rockite or similar
thin expanding cement on the edges of the opening and the patch, shove
the patch in and screw it to the stud(s).

I've done that more than once and the repairs have worked for years now,
but if I were a pro I wouldn't want to take on thAT job for much less
that what the guy quoted either. It takes time and care to do it right,
definitely not a 'wham bam thank you mam job'. plus it'd take two trips
to complete.....to make sure the patch cement was well set before
replacing the tiles. Not to mention that if the old tiles are going to
be being reused the mortar/backer board has to be scraped off them
carefully to avoid busting one.

There's almost no way to get a "small job" done for "a few bucks" in
urbania anymore. The overheads of insurance, transportation, business
fees and taxes, plus a few bounced checks and a couple of jobs that
don't go as planned and have to be redone for nothing....those all drive
the hourly rates higher and higher. Best to stop dwelling on what things
"used to cost" and get on with life.

Lucky is the homeowner who can do nearly all of the little jobs
him/herself.

Jeff

ok thanks for the feedback.