Mali

Thanks for replying

Are all the adjustors(?) correctly set, i.e. the 'on' time and darkness
control.

All the adjusters are set on test mode. according to the neon screwdriver,
power is getting to the bulb

If your neon lit up at both ends of your bulb (lamp) then you are probably
missing the neutral return.

I have check and re-checked, the neutral is connected..

If in any doubt about what you are looking at seek help, neon testers can

be
very misleading as they light up with tiny leakage currents.

It very odd? so to make sure I understand, power is sent to the bulb via the
LIVE wire from one end of the bulbthrough bulband then exited out via
other end of the bulb using NEUTRAL wire?? if so should the neon screwdriver
light up when I use it to test both ends of the bulb?

I really appreciate all the help, (before I electrocute myself tomorrow)...

"Peter Andrews" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mali" wrote in message
. uk...
My kids were playing football in the garden and accidentally hit our
external flood light with sensor and damaged it. So I purchased one of
those
standard square flood light with a sensor underneath.. It came with a
500watt Halogen Bulb.

The electricity that is used for the flood light is shared with 6 other
inside lights all using 60watt bulbs.

So following the instructions, I fixed the bracket on the wall, wired it
up,
stuck the bulb in and turned on the electricity. The new light would not
turn on. so I checked all the wiring, even purchased a new 500watt bulb
and
still nothing.

I then purchased one of those neon screw drivers used to test weather
there
is electricity going through, and used it to touch each end, where the
halogen bulb sits and it lit up meaning that there was electricity going
through.

Why wont the light come on? The previous light that the kids damaged had

150watt Halogen bulb. Could it be that there is not enough electricity
going
in to light up the 500watt bulb? If this was that case, wouldn't the

main
fuse for the flood light automatically shut off?

When using the neon screwdriver should it light up when I touch both

ends
of
where the halogen bulb sits?

If I purchased 150watt Halogen bulb, would this remedy the problem
(500watts
is overkill really)..

Please help, I don't know what to do.. Any help would be most
appreciated...
Mal

see reply in free.uk.diy.home