Andy Hall

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 15:38:03 +0000, John Stumbles
wrote:

Nick Atty wrote:
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:19:23 +0000, John Stumbles
wrote:

If you look at the output of chromed towel radiators and guesstimate the
amount of chromed tube they comprise compared to what you're proposing I
think you'll just get a few 100 Watts - not enough. I assume by '20cm
wide' you mean high, and that it's where the sloping roof meets the
wall. Could you lose a little space and put a low conventional rad a
little way out from this point?

Yes - actually the surfase is along the purlin; sloping roof above this,
and storage cupboards below. Standing it out is an interesting idea -
I'll have to do some measurements. Thanks

Short (as in height) column rads (like the traditional cast-iron ones
you used to have in schools etc but current 'designer' manufacture)
aren't _too_ expensive - I think 1 metre by about 300mm high by 3 column
(about 150mm deep) was about £150 in B&Q when I looked recently.

You can get floor brackets for these types of radiator as well.

Personally, I think I'd go for this approach and use a standard sized
radiator - at least you know what you're getting. It would be very
dispiriting to put a lot of work into a tube affair, only to find it
inadequate.

All of this in an attic room, pretty much does imply a sealed boiler
system, although I did one like this once (carefully) with an open
vented tank and under 1m of head.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl