Victor Roberts

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:34:00 -0330, "Terry"
wrote:

"Victor Roberts" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:44:12 GMT, "James Sweet"
wrote:

"Sean" wrote in message
Thanks for the answer. I was hoping to simply bypass the switch, but it
doesn't look like that is going to happen. I guess I'll have to replace
the
ballast after all.
Thanks, Sean

You can buy a glowbottle starter at any hardware store, usually under a
dollar.

But it must match his lamp. While the Op did not give us lamp data, he
indicated it was a 40-watt ballast. Therefore I am assuming the lamp
is a 40-watt or 34-watt lamp (until I get better information.) If the
OP lives in the US, I do not believe he can purchase a glow starter
for 40-watt lamps since they will not operate from 120 volt power
supplies.** if the OP lives in a part of the work where the normal
supply voltage is 220 to 240 volts, he should be able to find a glow
starter.

Not sure if that ** is correct?

Sorry for the confusion. I said "power supply" thinking "power supply
to the lamp" and was thinking that all preheat circuits use a simple
series inductor (or resistor). I was unaware of preheat circuits that
use a step-up transformer until this thread. (Still seems silly in
view of rapid start ballasts.) With a step-up transformer, the voltage
supplied to the lamp is well over 120 volts.

Reason is I have some older non working
older type fluorescents fixtures that I intend to update and respray that
have those little aluminum can type starters that definitely worked on 115
AC.

These must use a step-up transformer.

--
Vic Roberts