The Real Tom

On 13 Mar 2005 00:52:40 -0800, (Gel) wrote:

In hard wired models, battery only providing back up in case of AC
power loss.
Alkalines are fine in smoke alarms, and my data shows with good makes
ie Duracell Ultra they'll last nearly 4 years; so well worth cost.

Manufacturers manual will list recommended types; lithium batteries
may also be usable provided their use sanctioned in user guide.

Wouldn't suggest otherwise as these alarms have extra component to
allow for mis fitting of lithium battery ie reversed polarity;
they have potential to explode so why this is so important.

Never use rechargeable loose batteries, as have wrong dischange
characteristics, and would not activate low battery beep as
required [for min 30 days in UK].
Low battery triggered when voltage hits 7.4V.

Difference in Ion & Optical {Photo} been explained by other posters;
Ion now banned most of Europe, except UK & Eire.

Now that is a shame about ION. I know why, cause I remember how it
was a serious concern here in the US about 2 decades ago. I believe
the manufactures addressed the problem with documented proof about
Americaium after 10 operating life, and offering a recycling program,
but consumer's still might not be using them.

Just hear too many problems with Photos getting dirty and not working,
but then if you clean them too when you vaccum, that shouldn't be a
problem. But anyone here regularly vacuum their smoke detectors?

later,

tom @
www.Love-Calculators.com

Useful info on type selection/location at
www.smoke-alarms.co.uk

"oreo123" wrote in message ...
What is the difference between photoelectric and ionization smoke alarms?

I know that ionization is used within 15 or 20 feet of steamy bathroom or
kitchen cooktop.

TIA.