Don Foreman

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 13:28:35 -0500, "Wild Bill"
wrote:

I was looking at ways of starting small enterprises years ago, and kept
seeing suggestions to contact a local chapter Senior Corps of Retired
Executives (SCORE), for helpful information/guidance in establishing new
startups, grants, SBA approval, etc.
A local Chamber of Commerce or (enginneering/manufacturing) development
association might be able to suggest some contacts for design help.

The trouble I see with wanting to make a small metal part that could be a
great convenience in using this musical instrument, would be that a China
manufacturer could possibly flood the global market with only one week's
production of such a part.

It sounds as though the part could probably be prototyped with epoxy putty.
That would allow testing and improvements to be done without any serious
machining.
The putty can be cast on a piece of scrap material that has the same
dimensions as the instrument's part, and filed/sanded to an appropriate size
and shape, then painted (to conceal that it's just a lump of putty).
The putty model would give the inventor a 3-D part that can be measured, and
dimensions that can be transferred to metal. Fabrication costs could be
derived from the dimensions.

Follow the appropriate steps in copyright protection (witnessed, dated,
detailed drawings as the product evolves, etc) in case you decide to pursue
that later.

Unfortunately, many retired executives only know how the large company
they retired from did things with plenty of money to invest and many
minions to do the work. The retired executives I know are utterly
clueless about how to approach a niche market. Large corporations
don't pursue niche markets.

Chinese mfrs are used by US marketing and distribution businesses to
sell products here. The competition for mass market products isn't
offshore factories, but domestic importers who use offshore factories.

Niche markets, like musical instruments, may be a different story.
Wal-Mart doesn't sell musical instruments. I have a daughter who
works in the music production biz. I see about no Asian imports in
the catalogs that purvey to that trade.

It takes a pretty good craftsman to file something to a precision fit.
An even finer fit and feel can be achieved with lapping, probably
well beyond what's necessary here. Some gunsmiths have this skill.
I'd strongly prefer brass to putty; it files easily enough, can take
a fine finish and it can be nickel-plated for appearance -- and nickel
has pretty good lubricity and wear resistance as well. A nice fit
with silky-smooth feel would be clear evidence that it's not a likely
candidate for a Chinese factory -- at least not yet.

Max, I think your steps might be as follows:

First, make or have made a good working prototype, perhaps with the
help of a trusted collaborator.

Second, hit the road with the prototype to get customer feedback.

Redesign based on feedback.

Develop a specification, perhaps with help of a trusted collaborator,
that a machineshop or other manufactury can produce to spec in the
volume you anticipate. You don't need to tell them what it is or
what it's for at that point, and reputable businesses won't care
because they know they don't grow by screwing their customers. They
make parts to print. Up to you to make the specification and print
so that parts meeting spec will do what you want. This is a very
important point. If you closely hold control than you must own
the result if what you get meets your spec but not your intent. Ya
can't have it both ways.

If you can't find a trusted collaborator: buy a set of warding
files, a jeweller's fretsaw, some brass and gae thee from the keyboard
to the shop. Then make your specification and print and go shopping.