Sean

Thanks for the reference. The diagrams help a lot.
Sean.

"Jerry G." wrote in message
Excellent webpage about fluorescent lamp theory, and how to wire them.
There
are some ASCII type diagrams towards the bottom of the document. The
diagrams shown, are very standard.

http://members.misty.com/don/f-lamp.html#int0

--

Jerry G.
======

"Sean" wrote in message
Hello, I am having some trouble rewiring a ballast. It's an older one that
my wife has above her fish tank. The On/Off switch is flaky (it works
about
30% of the time) so she wants to set it up on a timer to go on and off for
her fish.
I am trying to bypass the on/off switch, but I am having some trouble as
it
is an older ballast.
Here's the scoop.
It is a 4 foot single lamp ballast.
There is the standard black and white wires, plus a blue wire. (I am used
seeing 6 wires in a 2 lamp system.)
The black goes to the Power. The white goes to the right hand side of the
lamp. The blue goes to the left hand side. Coming from the left side of
the
lamp is another black that connect to the top left of the on/off switch.
The
top right of the switch goes to the right side of the lamp. The bottom
right
of the switch goes to the other connector on the right side of the lamp.
The
bottom left of the switch goes back to Power.
I am sorry if this is a little complicated, but that's the best I can do
in
writing.
I figured that I should connect the black from the left side of the lamp
one of the wires on the right side of the lamp, and connect the other wire
from the right side back to power. That doesn't work. (I get a very low
glow
from half the bulb, but it doesn't go on.)
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Here are the specs on the ballast in case they are needed:
120V 60hz .55 amp
Keystone Transformer Co.
Cat no. M4OP
40 W Ballast.