Harry Bloomfield

Default Quick change 'plug & socket' Sunvic 3 port actuator

Hi,

Changing my spring return 3 port valve actuator for a new one and for
the n'th time - I decided it really needed a plug and socket to avoid
the struggling with wiring at a peculiar angle in the airing cupboard
into a twelve way connector block.

Plug and socket, so that there were no concerns about inserting the
four wires into the wrong pins of the 12 way connector, plus the making
notes on which goes where. I could not find a suitably rated 4 pin plug
and socket, so what I did is as follows:-

8888888888 12 way connector block

8888 4x Short insulated wire links orange, blue, white,grey

8888 4x wires to Sunvic actuator head orange, blue, white, grey

The short 2.5mm wires stay permanently fixed to the 4x connector strip
on the end of the Sunvic, making this the 'plug'. The socket being the
4x connector strip permantly attached and connected to the 12way.

Undo the four connector screws and out it comes, with its replacement
actuator ready set up with a 4 way connector to go in its place.

Having had so many regular problems with these actuators, I always keep
a spare actuator to hand ready to fit.

Incidently, the thing which so regularly kills these actuators is the
heat rising from the valve it controls. Mine is mounted directly above
the valve, rather than horizontally. I used to have to replace/repair
our actuator every 18months to 2 years. With a simple modification I
have managed to make them last in excess of 4 to 5 years the last
couple of times, as follows:-

I simply inserted an heat shield or heat deflector between valve and
actuator. In my case I undid the two screws fixing the actuator to the
valve and added an 9" diameter Tupperware container lid trapped between
the two, with holes for drive and screws cut in the middle of the lid.
The rising heat is now deflected away by the lid and the actuator runs
much coooler.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)