Dave Hinz

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 21:20:22 -0500, wrote:

As such, the internet is one of my handiest tools - If I need an
updated driver - it's on the internet. If there is a worm or trojan on
the system, the tool to remove it is on the internet. If there is an
update required to the microsoft operating system, it's on the
internet.

All of these things you mention fit nicely on a 1 GB USB thumb drive.
I've been doing it that way for a while and am pleased with that
technique. Saves much time, and if there's an update, I had to download
it anyway - so I copy the update to the thumb drive at that time. Saves
a LOT of hassle. A bootable CDROM OS (such as a Knoppix Linux) is handy
for fixing a scrogged virus-infested windows system, if you're comfortable
starting in Linux to fix the Windows stuff.

I'm paid for knowing how to find out what is wrong, and for knowing
where to get the tools to get the job done.In todays information
technology world, NOT using the internet when it is available is
irresponsible and just plain stupid - IMHO

Exactly. Sometimes, though, sneakernet is even better...

The days when a "computer consultant" can rack up the hours and charge
indiscriminately are GONE. The customer expects, and deserves, to have
the job done as quickly and economically as possible, which requires
that the technician (OK, consultant if you want to hang that handle
around your neck) uses all the tools at his disposal, and uses them
effectively.

Right. Or you don't get called back, and rightfully so.

Dave Hinz