James Sweet

Seams that the sum of all individual parts prices should never exceed
the price of a complete item. IOW, I should be able to buy all the
individual pieces of a complete car engine from GM for less than a new
crate motor costs. All the individual pieces of a car should cost less
than a built car, shouldn't they? It seems to me like the makings of a
reasonable fair trade law that could end this abuse of the customer.

What about the cost of packing them as individual parts, cataloging them,
shipping, sorting and stocking them individually? None of this is nessesary
if the whole thing is bought assembled.