James Sweet

"Chris F." wrote in message
I was aware that manufacturers charged high prices for replacement

parts,
but I wasn't aware of just bad the problem was until recently. I was

looking
for a replacement DVD laser pickup for Hitachi (see my earlier post) and
finally located one from a Hitachi parts distributor. The price? $205 Cdn.

can't believe anyone would have the nerve to charge such ridiculous prices
for a replacement part, especially when an entire new unit can be

purchased
for much less! Obviously, plain old greed is the motivation for this scam,
but I have to wonder about a couple of other things....

They price it so high so that nobody buys them and they don't have to deal
with having authorized shops stock them. You can get the part if you
*really* need it, but there's no demand so people just buy new units,
exactly as planned.