I understand your preference for McIntosh Amps, but I would agree with
Ted here. I think you should go for the line level to the shop and an
amp there.
If you buy an amplifier that as not a McIntosh, I think you would have
better sound than runing 10 gauge wire from the house.

Incidently I just ran across an old article by Robert Pease on speaker
wire. He does not think much of the monster cable, but thought using
the flat cable with thirty twisted pairs paralleled might be justified.
His thought is that each pair has about a 75 ohm impedance. Thirty
pairs in parallel would have the impedance in the two ohm range.

Some of his columns are available on the Web. I will have a look to
see if this one is out there.

Dan

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

Thanks for the great input. Right now I'm still thinking 10 ga,

but
certainly nothing smaller. From the figures provided, it looks

like
things
get right out of control with smaller than 12 gage wire.

I still think you should go for line level to the shop and an amp

there.

I assume you have one of your amps to spare? That would surely make

it
easier! I might even overlook my zeal for owning Mc gear. :-)

I Economics drive me pretty hard, Ted. I do
appreciate and respect your comments, though. Just wish I understood

them
better.

Harold