On 11 Mar 2005 16:15:26 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On 10 Mar 2005 15:00:22 -0800, wrote:
Indeed.

When I work as a consultant, as I often do, my consulting agreements
forbid me from ANY access to the Internet while on a customer's time.

Must be inconvenient as hell when you're trying to, you know, fix
something.

There is a damn good reason for this, and it has nothing to do with
surfing porn!

And what would that damn good reason be, exactly?

The point is that you are, as a contractor or consultant, hired for
your own expertise,and not what you can quickly snarf up from the Web.
Contractors, on company time, have no need for Web access.

Unless your job involves, you know, working with computers. Your
statement is vastly over-generalized, and you gave zero context as to
who or what you're replying to.

I also work as a computer "consultant". What a word. Means absolutely
nothing or anything, depending how you look at it. I repair computer
systems.
As such, the internet is one of my handiest tools - If I need an
updated driver - it's on the internet. If there is a worm or trojan on
the system, the tool to remove it is on the internet. If there is an
update required to the microsoft operating system, it's on the
internet.

I'm paid for knowing how to find out what is wrong, and for knowing
where to get the tools to get the job done.In todays information
technology world, NOT using the internet when it is available is
irresponsible and just plain stupid - IMHO
I can fiddle around for 10 hours or get straight to the problem and
fix it in two.

The days when a "computer consultant" can rack up the hours and charge
indiscriminately are GONE. The customer expects, and deserves, to have
the job done as quickly and economically as possible, which requires
that the technician (OK, consultant if you want to hang that handle
around your neck) uses all the tools at his disposal, and uses them
effectively.

I've said enough.