RoyJ

Set up a box, tripod, whatever you have that is stable. Get the top
perfectly level both directions. Turn on the laser, aim it over the
excavation area. Use a tape measure or beter yet, just a stick with a
big line on it, to check if you are above or below finished grade. What
works well is to make a grid about 3' or 4' on center, dig out or fill
in to get all these spots at the correct elevation. Start transferring
dirt from high spots to low spots.

wrote:
RoyJ wrote:

If you put a laser level in the center you are going out 12', it

won't

be out by much. Plus this is a rough excavation prior to filling with

concrete or gravel. Do you REALLY need accuracy in the +/- .060"

range?

A water level is a pain to use in an excavation. Every time you move

one

end, you adjust the water level in the OTHER end. Requires setting up

both ends, then remeasuring your reference end. Lots of chance for

error.

As for accuracy, I have a Hoppy split level transit, all plastic,

$30

or so, that will easily measure the thickness of a dime at 15', and

is

MUCH more convienient than any water level. I use it for measuring

floor

and structural issues in old houses. And, yes, I have calibrated it

and

done repeatability testing.

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:28:08 GMT, RoyJ

wrote:

You can do a nice job with one of the el-cheapo laser levels. This

one

is $10 at Harbor Freight.

Problem with a laser level, is you get a nice straight line, but

your

level is only as good as that bubble on that tiny level. For a few
feet, you're probably right on. But, how much error in that bubble

would

it take to be off by an inch, at 50 feet? Not a hell of a lot.

Water is

much more dependable, can't be mis-calibrated, and has been in use

as a

level for laying out buildings, since the pyramids were built.

I have a cheap laser level. How would I use it to check the level of
the ground?