larry g

I ran into the same problem with a new Jacobs 14N. I messed with it a while
and finally marked the chuck and spindle so that I could install the chuck
in different rotational positions to the arbor and with a few tries found
the high and low spots and assembled for the least amount of runout. I
would also suggest that you try a couple of different sizes of test pins as
the jaws in the chuck may be a bit wonky at one particular diameter. Also
pay attention is the high spot always on one particular jaw, or spot on the
spindle. Some systematic trouble shooting should get you to the largest
problem area.
lg
no neat sig line

"alabbe0405" wrote in message
Hi, i've recently replaced my drill press chuck because the old one gave a
very obvious wobble to anything chucked in it. I've got a new keyless one
and I'm testing it with a dial indicator and getting what seems like a lot
of runout, around 0.005". The drill (or in this case a reamer) is
straight
but not concentric. How much deviation would you guys expect to see?
I've
checked the drill press taper in different positions and get almost no
deviation of the dial indicator so I dont think the drill press is the
problem. An online search yielded some values but they seem to range from
0.0005 to 0.010". That range is quite large and I really dont know if I
should be expecting better than 0.005" or if I should just tolerate it.
If
anybody cares, the chuck is a 50$ import not an albrecht (I looked at the
albrecht web site and they dont give any runout info on their chuck
because
they say it depends on the drill press or arbor...)

Thanks.