alabbe0405

Default Drill press runout?

Hi, i've recently replaced my drill press chuck because the old one gave a
very obvious wobble to anything chucked in it. I've got a new keyless one
and I'm testing it with a dial indicator and getting what seems like a lot
of runout, around 0.005". The drill (or in this case a reamer) is straight
but not concentric. How much deviation would you guys expect to see? I've
checked the drill press taper in different positions and get almost no
deviation of the dial indicator so I dont think the drill press is the
problem. An online search yielded some values but they seem to range from
0.0005 to 0.010". That range is quite large and I really dont know if I
should be expecting better than 0.005" or if I should just tolerate it. If
anybody cares, the chuck is a 50$ import not an albrecht (I looked at the
albrecht web site and they dont give any runout info on their chuck because
they say it depends on the drill press or arbor...)

Thanks.

Joe AutoDrill

Depending on the drill press, that could be normal. Some units come brand
new with a .002 to .003 runout and considering you either have a used unit
and/or re-mounted on a taper, it might be something you have a hard time
overcoming.

Did you drop the Morse taper or simply mount on a Jacobs taper with the
chuck? I assume the Jacobs... Which could lead to an additional .0005 to
..001 "new" runout that wasn't there if the taper was damaged at all or if
there is dust, etc. up in there.

How old is the unit? What make and model, etc...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.AutoDrill.com
http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013

"alabbe0405" wrote in message
[...]

Paul T.

and I'm testing it with a dial indicator and getting what seems like a lot
of runout, around 0.005". The drill (or in this case a reamer) is
straight

0.005" is a little high, especially if you have to keep using it for the
rest of your life. I'd keep chasing it down. You already measured the
spindle and that sounds good, next buy a quality arbor and measure its
runout without the chuck on it. If you can get your current chuck and arbor
back apart, test the arbor from that, if its straight your new chuck is
marginal. If you reused the arbor from your older chuck there is a good
change its bent.

I like the Rohm chucks, they cost just a little more than the imports but I
find the quality to be pretty good, almost as good as an Albrecht.

www.use-enco.com has pretty good prices on the Rohm chucks.

Good luck-

Paul T.

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
alabbe0405 wrote:
Hi, i've recently replaced my drill press chuck because the old one gave a
very obvious wobble to anything chucked in it. I've got a new keyless one
and I'm testing it with a dial indicator and getting what seems like a lot
of runout, around 0.005". The drill (or in this case a reamer) is straight
but not concentric.

Sounds a bit high for a *good* keyless chuck.

An online search yielded some values but they seem to range from
0.0005 to 0.010". That range is quite large and I really dont know if I
should be expecting better than 0.005" or if I should just tolerate it.

Who made the drill press? And how much do you measure on that
rod without rotating the spindle, just pressing it lightly from side to
side? A lot of import drill presses have that much (or more) play just
in the quill.

Once that is eliminated, measure from the ID of the Morse taper
socket (presuming that you don't have a spindle without such a
socket, and just a male Jacobs taper.

If
anybody cares, the chuck is a 50$ import not an albrecht

Some cheap brands can have that much runout. And for a keyless
drill chuck of that style, $50.00 *is* cheap.

(I looked at the
albrecht web site and they dont give any runout info on their chuck because
they say it depends on the drill press or arbor...)

For Albrecht, that is equivalent to saying that only at the
absolute minimum (below 0.0005") will a measurable amount of that come
from the chuck. If you get objectionable runout with a new genuine
Albrecht, it *is* the drill press or the arbor. Note that Albrecht also
makes the arbors, if you want to start out right. :-) When *I* get an
Albrecht, I also get an Abrecht arbor.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
larry g

I ran into the same problem with a new Jacobs 14N. I messed with it a while
and finally marked the chuck and spindle so that I could install the chuck
in different rotational positions to the arbor and with a few tries found
the high and low spots and assembled for the least amount of runout. I
would also suggest that you try a couple of different sizes of test pins as
the jaws in the chuck may be a bit wonky at one particular diameter. Also
pay attention is the high spot always on one particular jaw, or spot on the
spindle. Some systematic trouble shooting should get you to the largest
problem area.
lg
no neat sig line

[...]

Pete & sheri

You say "the drill (or in the case a reamer)---". If this means the you
are using the reamer as the test surface, I would do something else.
Buy a 3 foot length of water hardening (the cheapest) drill rod as big
as will fit in your chuck. MSC and Enco have it on sale often. Cut off
6" or so and use that to check the run out.

Pete Stanaitis