jtaylor

"Dixon" wrote in message

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in message
.net...

"Pete & sheri" wrote in message
whatever you do, don't depend on a box made of 2 X 6's to hold in your
fill material. It won't.

I really hate to rain on the water hose level peoples parade, but there

are
some factors that need to be addressed. I once took a 30' piece of plastic
hose to use as a level. I filled it full with no air whatsoever in it. I
held both ends next to each other
and was amazed to see the level was over an inch different. The problem

was
the temperature of the water was changing as I was filling the clear hose.

used a garden hose that was in the sun so the first water was warm

followed
by cooler water. It is very important the water is the same temp

throughout
the hose. This would even be something to be aware of if part of the hose
level was in the sun and part in the shade.
Dixon

I kinda wondered about this. So I did some googling...

The total expansion from freezing to boiling is about 4.3%.

So you'd get about 15 inches difference with such a difference of
temperature.

But you didn't have such a range.

If one half of a 30 foot tube was at 20 centigrade and the other at 40
centigrade you'd get about 1 inch difference.

If one half was (just above) freezing and the other was 20 degrees you'd get
about 1/3rd of an inch.

The above is only approximate back-of-envelope-type maths...