Joe AutoDrill

Depending on the drill press, that could be normal. Some units come brand
new with a .002 to .003 runout and considering you either have a used unit
and/or re-mounted on a taper, it might be something you have a hard time
overcoming.

Did you drop the Morse taper or simply mount on a Jacobs taper with the
chuck? I assume the Jacobs... Which could lead to an additional .0005 to
..001 "new" runout that wasn't there if the taper was damaged at all or if
there is dust, etc. up in there.

How old is the unit? What make and model, etc...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
http://www.AutoDrill.com
http://www.Multi-Drill.com

V8013

"alabbe0405" wrote in message
Hi, i've recently replaced my drill press chuck because the old one gave a
very obvious wobble to anything chucked in it. I've got a new keyless one
and I'm testing it with a dial indicator and getting what seems like a lot
of runout, around 0.005". The drill (or in this case a reamer) is
straight
but not concentric. How much deviation would you guys expect to see?
I've
checked the drill press taper in different positions and get almost no
deviation of the dial indicator so I dont think the drill press is the
problem. An online search yielded some values but they seem to range from
0.0005 to 0.010". That range is quite large and I really dont know if I
should be expecting better than 0.005" or if I should just tolerate it.
If
anybody cares, the chuck is a 50$ import not an albrecht (I looked at the
albrecht web site and they dont give any runout info on their chuck
because
they say it depends on the drill press or arbor...)

Thanks.