pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show wrote
back on Wed, 09 Mar 2005 05:20:53 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 17:38:49 GMT, pyotr filipivich
wrote:
If you doubt this, ask yourself what is the "sensitive" term for
referring to persons descended of slaves imported from Sub-Sahara Africa.
What is the sensitive term for persons descended from of slaves imported
from Europe?

Pyotr, as I am not American, I am not fully conversant with your
version of English so would appreciate a translation of "sensitive"

Is is an altenative for "politically correct" ? ie I feel good
about deliberately stuffing up the English language so you MUST use my
version as it boosts my ego.

Sensitive is the PC term of being "politically correct". As in "it is
insensitive to refer to saying 'something is insensitive' as 'politically
incorrect'." "Sensitive" is the term used in "polite" society (except that
"polite society" is to culturally-centric to be sensitive.).
It is funny in a perverse sort of way, as one "sensitive" euphemism is
in turn deemed insensitive, and anew euphemism is adopted. E.g. From
"crippled" to "handicapped" to "physically challenged" to "differentially
abled". Like wise the progression from "idiot" to "retarded" to "slow
learner" to "mentally handicapped" to "developmentally challenged". And so
forth. The progression from "darky" to "colored person" to "black" to
"African-American" to "Persons of Color" to "the melanin enhanced" is
another interesting semiotic shift.
One doesn't wish to be insensitive, so rather than call them slobs,
they are called "alteratively enculturated." Just as one no longer refers
to the career criminal as such, but as one of the "alternatively career
minded."; just as liars are now known as ethic "alternately moraled" or
lawyers. And people who illegally enter a country aren "illegal aliens"
but rather "undocumented workers" (which used to mean you forgot your
wallet when you went to work.)

What are the terms ?

Well, that all depends on whether you want to be "sensitive",
euphemistic, or accurate.
The accurate term for both is "freedmen." As ethnic groups, those that
trace lineage back to slave raids in Africa are "black" while those who
trace to slave raids in a specific region of Europe are called "Slavs".
Those born of a freedman are freemen.
The Term "African-America" is a term without rational, as it is usually
used to designate persons who were born in the United States of parents
also born in the United States, and specifically designated not applicable
to those naturalized citizens of the United States who while born in
Africa, are Caucasian in their appearance. I have in mind a Rabbi I know
of, who was born in South Africa, and immigrated to the US many years ago.
Is he an "African American", or not?

--
pyotr filipivich.