RoyJ

You can do a nice job with one of the el-cheapo laser levels. This one
is $10 at Harbor Freight.
Just set it up somewhere convienient (inside or outside the building
footprint) and start in. Best way to do things is to use a "story stick"
(any old stick with a big black mark on the side that matches the laser
level line) Dig a series of hole about 4' on center that are the exact
depth of your finished excavation. Use some stakes to mark the top of
the excavation on the areas you want to fill.

One note: As much as possible, try not to do any building on "disturbed
earth" that has not been compacted with a tamper. Your building will
tend to tilt after a while if you don't tamp it. Just dig down to the
grade you want and leave it alone.

It's good practice to add at least 6" (12" is better) of good gravel
between your excavated area and the bottom of the concrete.

wrote:
I am wanting to build a small pole barn garage myself. The area is near
my blacktop turn around. I want to extend this turnaround with gravel.
My idea is to "box in" a 24 x 24 area with stakes and 2x6's. To put the
gravel in this for the pole barn floor. Then start building as I have
time and money. (I will not have a 2x6 in the front so I can put gravel
from my turnaround to the pole barn and use it for parking.

I worked the ground with a tiller last year and scraped with a tractor
bucket. It is more level than it was but not perfect.

Any idea on how I can get this good and level before I start without
buying expensive tools or spending a lot of money? (We just had a baby
born two months ago).

Is this a doable project by myself?