miey

Thank you,
Weight and sash cord. The house is a Craftsman style and the windows
are really very plain. No stubs or anything. Almost the same as a rail
and stile kitchen cabinet panel door only with glass instead of a
panel.
mikeOn Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:53:47 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

miey wrote:

Also, the windows I want to replace are double hung sash with no
lites. I'd love to know what problems I'm likey to get should I choose
to make my own.

"No" lites??? Or you mean just a single pane (that would be one lite)?

potential problems...what material do you want to use? I had a
heckuva time finding 5/4 clear white pine (in fact, gave up) as
apparently Andersen, et al., have a near lock on the market (at least
unless you're nearer areas where it is produced and have access to
larger wholesalers than I have easy access to).

One real pita imo, is that it is very difficult to find the stub-spindle
cutter to make the matching cut for the sticking to make a traditional
full-length rail tenon as opposed to the present stub-tenon. Delta was
the only manufacturer of these for small shapers that I was aware of and
they have ceased production (and are out of stock, I've checked). The
only way at present to do this that I'm aware of is w/ the CMT router
set, but it's somewhat more tricky of a set up than the Delta shaper set
was. I've sent a profile to a custom house to see about getting a
custom carbide replacement--when I get the quote back I'll post -- if
there are others interested it might cut setup one-time cost down
signficantly.

How are the windows hung--traditional weights/sash cord or more modern?