Have you guys seen Grizzly's new cyclone unit?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emNumber=G0443

Pretty impressive if you need something that big. I've read through a
lot of posts and web pages about (true) cyclones, and it would seem
that conceptually, all DC machines should be built this way, but in
the real world, I guess a "small" cyclone doesn't work? By small I
mean, why couldn't you have a 1HP compact cyclone that used a diesel
truck air filter? I mean, when you really think about it, the only
thing different about a conventional DC and a Cyclone DC is reshaping
some tin and placement of the fan.

A possible alternative to the cyclone is Jets barrel setup.

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cf...tail&iid=11785

From a space-saving point of view, this supposedly works pretty well,
and you get the benefits of the cyclone concept without the
frankenstein in the corner. There are other brands that do the same
thing, offer a 2-stage DC without a true cyclone.

Mike

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 05:13:25 GMT, "Highland Pairos"
wrote:

My understanding is that there are two primary
reasons for a separator. One is to reduce the frequency of bag changes, the
second is to protect the impeller and the filter from sizeable chips coming
through and damaging one or both.

SteveP.